Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Yummy Guacamole!

I am really excited to post my first recipe! As a hardcore foodie who loves to cook, I'm glad that I can share some of my favorite recipes with my friends! Today, while at the store, I got a hardcore craving for some guacamole and since my mom has a weakness for my guacamole she agreed and we started shopping for the ingredients. This recipes is super easy, but it is a bit time consuming because of all the chopping and pitting.

Ingredients:
4-6 Avocados
2 Tomatoes
1 Medium Onion (I only had 2 small so I used 1 and half small onions)
2 Limes
1-2 Serrano Chilies
1 tsp Garlic (or two cloves if you have fresh garlic)
Garlic Salt (to taste)
Pepper (to taste)


How to tell if avocados are ripe: 
Having ripe avocados is very important to making a good guacamole. The best way to tell if avocados are ripe is to gently squeeze them. You want them to give slightly, but not be too mushy. The best comparison I can give it to first press your forehead; if the avocado feels like this do not purchase it, it is not ripe enough and it will be hard to work with. Press your hand to your cheek next; if the avocado feel like this when you squeeze it then the avocado is overripe and most likely has brown, rotten spots on the inside. Now press your nose, this is what it should feel like. It should be soft but not too soft. 

The best way to get to the inside is to cut the avocado like so:


The pit should just come out if you slip a spoon underneath it and lift it out. If you have difficulty getting the pit out of the avocado use the corner of you chopping knife and gently hit the pit with it, once it is lodged give the knife a gentle twist and the pit should come right out.  

To get the fruit out of the skin you can just slip a spoon between the fruit and the skin and scoop it out.  


Then just dice it up and put it in a bowl. I put in directly in the container I'm going to store it in for less mess.


Next you get to mash it up! I use a potatoe masher and do it by hand because I like my guacamole to be a little chunkier but if you prefer yours to be smoother you can just pop it right in the food processor! 

Next just chop up the rest of your ingredients!


If you like a lot of heat feel free to keep the Serrano seeds in the guac, but  if not make sure get rid of them. You can use jalapeƱos instead of serranos if you'd like as they are less spicy. Also, make sure you dice the chilies really small, no one wants to bite into a giant piece of spicy pepper. 


The best way I've found to chop up cilantro is to gather a bunch of the leaves and twist them together, then chop.


Once all your ingredients are chopped add them to the smashed avocados along with the garlic and stir. Next you'll want to grab your limes and firmly press your hand on the lime and roll. This will loosen up the fruit and make it easier to juice. After you loosen up the limes slice them in half and squeeze the juice over the guacamole. 


Next, you stir in the lime juice add some garlic salt and pepper to taste. Then enjoy!


If you try this recipe out I hope you enjoy it! It's always a hit in my house.

On a different note, my mom bought me this cute lemon container today and I'm really excited! I love lemon water so there's always lemons in the house and now I have a place to store the other half of the lemon until I need to use it! Sure, I could just use a tupperware container or a ziploc baggy, but this way is just more fun!


No comments:

Post a Comment