Saturday, September 17, 2011

Grilled Corn Pico de gallo

Okay, I'm going to jump right in and confess that I had a hard time coming up with a name for this recipe. What I made is definitely not a salsa and pico de gallo is technically supposed to be completely uncooked, but this recipe calls for some grilling so I was forced to make a judgement call. I, in all my "wisdom", decided that since the corn is the only thing that is cooked and it is fresh from the cob, that this is in fact a pico de gallo. I was not sure how this recipe would go over with my family but everyone, especially my father, loved it. In fact, my father informed me that it was SO good that I can cook dinner every night from now on. What a guy! Now on to the recipe! Do NOT be intimidated by pico de gallo. It is honestly a lot of chopping and mixing. Super simple and very tasty. I included the list of ingredients and a compact version of the instructions at the end of my post for ease if you decide to try this recipe out.

Ingredients:
3-5 ears of corn, sans husk.
2 tablespoons of oil
1/2 red onion
1/2 jalapeno
1 Serrano chili
3 tomatoes
1 clove of garlic
1 can black beans
1 lime
cilantro
salt
pepper

First you heat up your grill to medium. While you're waiting for it to heat up take your shucked corn and brush it with the oil of your choice. I used vegetable because that's what I had on hand, but you can certainly use olive oil. Then salt and pepper the corn.















Once the grill is warmed up place your corn on it. You'll grill them for about ten minutes turning every three minutes or so.















Once it's done, let it cool and then remove the corn from the cob. I just stood it up on it's end and ran a knife down it until it was all removed. While you're waiting for the corn to cool you can chop up your tomatoes, onion, peppers, garlic, and cilantro and put them in a bowl. Cilantro is an ingredient that you add to your specific taste so have fun with it! I only used half a jalapeno because I wanted to keep the heat in check so my siblings could enjoy the pico de gallo as well. If you love heat consider using the whole jalapeno.
















Drain your can of beans and rinse them, then add them to the bowl as well.














The last steps are to add your corn, cut your lime in half and squeeze out the juice over the bowl, salt and pepper to taste then mix it all up and enjoy!
The Condensed Version:
Ingredients:
3-5 ears of sweet corn, sans husk.
2 tablespoons of oil
1/2 red onion
1/2 jalapeno
1 Serrano chili
3 tomatoes
1 clove of garlic
1 can black beans
1 lime
cilantro
salt
pepper

Instructions:
1. First you heat up your grill to medium. Brush corn and with the oil of your choice. Salt and pepper the corn.
2. Grill corn for about ten minutes turning every three minutes or so.

3. Let corn cool and then remove the kernels from the cob.
4. Chop up the tomatoes, onion, peppers, garlic, and cilantro and put them in a bowl.
5. Drain the black beans, rinse them and add them to the bowl. Add the corn to the bowl.
6. Cut the lime in half and add the juice to your bowl. Salt and pepper to taste.
7. Mix all the ingredients and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment